Friday, November 25, 2011

IT'S ABOUT MORE THAN JUST HAVING FUN

"I do know that I didn't enjoy little league baseball for the fun of playing.  I can't help it -- but that's true.  When i hear parents tell their kids today, 'It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you have fun,' I'm puzzled.  That's just now how I'm wired.  Bottom line, losing simply isn't any fun.  Oh sure, in thinking back on plays and moments, I knew I was loving every minute of playing the game.  But if there's a score, then there's a purpose to the game beyond having fun -- it's having a greater score.  Of course, there is intrinsic value in playing the game itself and how well you play it, and always playing to the best of your ability, but at some point the actual competition has to be a piece of the analysis as well.  After all, there'd be no point to the rules or to keeping score if it were simply only about having fun."

-Tim Tebow (from his book "Though My Eyes")